Three truths regarding the saints who have walked before us:
- Their finished testimony(verses 1-5)
- Their unfinished mission (verses 13-38)
- Our common connection with them (verses 39-40)
The First Truth: A Finished Testimony (verses 1-5)
“For by it [by faith] the people of old received their commendation.” The root form of the word is martureo, which means to testify or bear witness.
The Second Truth: A Continuing Mission (verses13-38)
The Old Testament saints did not receive the things
promised (verse 13)
The Third Truth: A Common Connection (verses 39-40)
We who are alive today walk by the same faith.
Conclusion and Applications
- A call to run the race with endurance.
- We are surrounded by the cloud of witnesses. The word can mean corralled.