Today will be a personal blog day. Running is something I do in my spare time (or time when I should be sleeping), and I usually compete in a handful of races in any given year.
I could list lots of reasons for why I do this, but let me settle on five.
1. I like to eat. The more I run, the more my metabolism stays up.
2. It is a time of retreat. I pray, listen to music, think, and enjoy the outdoors. No one can get ahold of me.
3. I am competitive. It is challenging for me to set a goal and work toward it.
4. It takes discipline. Like most I assume, my default is lazy. I don't want to be lazy. I want to make the most of life. Running takes discipline, which means other hobbies, interests, or entertainment must be pushed aside to be successful.
5. There is a great sense of accomplishment following a race. Short distance or long, it always feels good to complete a race - then eat!
Have a great weekend!